"Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised." ~ Proverbs 31:30

Sunday, March 27, 2011

What am I supposed to do?

Everyone has a job to do.  Speakers are supposed to remember their lines and try to connect with their judges on a higher level than their fellow competitors.  Debaters are supposed to present their arguments clearly and try to persuade their judge to see their side of things.  So what is the job of a former competitor?

This past weekend I poured over ballots, reading and rereading the comments I had written to each student, trying to justify my choosing this person for first place over that one.  It was an exceedingly difficult task, yet one that I was asked to do.  I hate being nit-picky, yet that is what I had to be in order to make a final decision.

One of the reasons this decision making was so hard was because of my love language:  words of encouragement.  I want everybody to do well in everything.  Ranking people from 1st -8th place was like torture for me!  The thought that my ranking and/or comments might crush someone absolutely mortified me!  Quite honestly, there were several ballots that I didn't want my name written on for all to see.

I remember getting ballots back and seeing only critiques and no encouragement to improve and do better.  These were the ballots that disheartened me.  I often thought that my failure to do well in some of the judges eyes was a character flaw.  I was crushed.  But then I would look at the other two ballots from the same room that would offer critiques, but then would also tell me one thing I did well.  These were the ones where I was encouraged to change some of the things in my speech that didn't work so well, and keep the things that did.

During this tournament I began to realize what my job was as an alumni.  Quite simply, it was to become each student's big sister.  I was to give each competitor something they could work on but also encourage them in their speaking abilities, building them up whenever I could.  Several students knew that I was an alum.  When I knew that one of my judges was an alum, nothing made my day better than knowing that they personally offered me encouragement, wanting me to succeed.

And that's what I want for every single competitor that presented their speech to me, looked me in the eye, and shook my hand as they thanked me for my time.  I want them to succeed!

Maybe I have a different perspective on alumni judging than some, but it's the  judging philosophy that I'm going to stick with.

2 comments:

  1. You're awesome, Alex! Thanks so much for coming and judging. It was good seeing you again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some judges have the tact of a toothpick. Forget them. Your approach will yield more fruit, oh "helper and defender of mankind." You're just living up to your name.

    ReplyDelete