"Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised." ~ Proverbs 31:30

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Coffee with God

It seems like within the last 24 hours I've been slammed from all sides.  Things didn't go the way I planned or worked for, and I got discouraged.  One of the most dangerous things I can do when this happens to me is to let my mind wander, because when I allow it, I get extremely depressed.  My thoughts whirl around so quickly that I think my head will explode!

But then I was struck with something.  How diligent have I been over the past couple of weeks in digging in to the Word?  Not just reading a few chapters, snapping it closed, and then moving on to other duties of the day without giving it a second thought ... but really digging in?  If I'm not diligent in the one area that matters, why should I expect that other areas of my life are going to run smoothly?

It came to my attention that while God is ALWAYS faithful, I'm only faithful for a very short while.  Too often do I shove my quiet time out of the picture, saying things like "I'll do it later today".  When I have thoughts like that, I never come back to pick it up til the next day, or maybe even the next, or perhaps the next.  If I am not faithful to God, why should I expect Him to remain faithful to me?  Now I know that it is part of God's character and He will be faithful at every moment of the day, but it makes me even more undeserving of His wonderful love if I have not loved Him in return.

There was a time when I was up before a good portion of the household, coffee in hand and Bible open before me.  This was my daily routine, always setting aside time for God.  Schoolwork, household chores, family, all these came strictly after I had spent a significant amount of time with my King.  Nothing got in the way.  But somehow, that sweet time of communing with my Savior started slipping away.  My quiet times became erratic, to say the least.  I have started them back up so that I have at least 3 or 4 a week, but I know that that's not enough!

Perhaps I should say that I am now encouraged to give Him the first part of my day everyday!  Yes, I realize that this means getting up earlier each morning, and no, as of right now, I am not looking forward to that part.  But I am excited about what things God will teach me and how much more I will learn when I am faithful at reading my Bible everyday and spending time in prayer everyday.  Growth in my relationship with Him is what I want more than anything else right now!  And I truly believe He has given me that hunger.

Coffee with God.  Yes, that's what I'm going to try to get back to.  Join me!

No comments:

Post a Comment