"Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised." ~ Proverbs 31:30

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Living out a Legacy

What is a legacy?  The Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines it as: "Something transmitted by or received from an ancestor or predecessor or from the past."

What kind of a legacy are you leaving?  It is my theory that one begins to work on one's legacy from the time they are born.  Character development, or a lack of such, is the job of a lifetime.  When I look at my life, I see many things that I wish I hadn't done, said, or focused my heart on.  It just all seems so petty now!  There are much better ways that I can spend living my life.

When I truly get down to the nitty-grittiness of it all, I realize that God has been showing me something; something that He has been unveiling and showing me to be true over the past several months.  Thankfully, He continues to show it to me when I need to be shown most.  And that thing, that idea, is that it doesn't really matter what we do with our lives, that it doesn't really matter what happens to us during our lives, as long as we keep our eyes and focus on Christ.

I had to take a test in one of my classes the other day.  I wasn't really looking forward to it, but unfortunately my professor didn't really take that into consideration.  :)  Anyway, we got the graded tests back today.  I didn't score nearly as well as I had hoped, and I felt my life begin to crumble.  The thing you have to know about me is that I may say that I don't care about good grades or doing well in school, but the fact of the matter is that I can't stand getting bad grades!!!  I get depressed, stressed, and angry if I do poorly.  After all, if I get a bad grade then it's going to affect my GPA, and my GPA is important if I want to get into a real college, and my insurance rates go down when I have good grades, etc., etc., etc.  I would much rather drop the class than continue on and sink my GPA.

But you know what God has been showing me?  He's been showing me that it's okay to get bad grades.  It's not a reflection on my life.  It's not even a reflection on my character!  It's merely a reflection of my understanding of subject matter that is not important when it comes to the kingdom!  WOW!  Yeah, I got depressed this morning, and yeah, I was forced to deal with it practically all day, but God is still in control.  All I really have to do is obey Him and trust Him if I want to succeed in life.

And that's the kind of legacy I want to pass down to my children.  I want to teach them how to live a Godly life and how to obey Him and please Him in everything they think, say and do.  I want to pass on a legacy of righteousness.  Character is so much more important than good grades.  I'm still learning how to grapple with letting go of my perfectionist tendencies in that area, but God is a patient teacher.

What legacy will you be passing on?

1 comment: