"Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised." ~ Proverbs 31:30

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Simplicity: Where Hast Thou Gone?

Lunch was over, therefore She would be on the prowl soon.  I had to hide.  But where?  Quickly and as quietly as possible I darted behind the sofa.  This was the perfect spot!  She would never find me here!  All of a sudden, with lightening quick movements, She scooped me up from behind and dragged me off to my bedroom where I was to take a nap.  I hated naps.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That was my daily routine for 5 short years.  Everyday, as soon as I finished lunch, I would invariably be sent off for my afternoon nap.  I remember the terror that seemed to pierce my very being as I would hide in hopes of avoiding this little ritual that seemed so important to Mom.  The thought of being enclosed in my bedroom for hours on end seemed like torture to me!

Oh to go back to those days.

I miss getting to curl up with Purple Dolly (my name for my purple doll [how original, I know]) and stroking her silky smooth exterior as I gently drifted off to sleep.  I miss being forced to drink a cup of milk before bedtime.  I miss not being able to touch the floor of the car once I was strapped in.  I miss my sack-of-potato rides on Dad's back.  I miss playing dress up with my little sisters.  I miss being able to play make-believe without feeling dumb.  I miss having to drag a chair over to the counter every time I wanted to help Dad make his famous cheesy biscuits.  I miss the family walks we would do after dinner back in Florida.  I miss chasing fuzzy yellow ducklings around our backyard.  

I miss being in first grade.  I miss being at home all the time with my family.  I miss that scavenger hunt that my parents made for me, the year I got my first bike.  I miss "sledding" down our neighbors driveway in pizza boxes every time it iced over.  I miss my old, yellow, flowery comforter ... the one with the lace around the edges.  I miss getting buried in my mound of stuffed animals and then jumping out to "surprise" Mom and Dad.  I miss playing hide-and-go-seek in the bathroom. I miss the football games we used to play out back. I miss, I miss, I miss.  I miss so much about my little kid years.

The simplistic way of life I once lead is now gone.  I have to make lots of my own decisions now that I'm an adult.  You know what?  Life at 4 was a whole lot nicer!  I had no cares in the world other than playing, eating, and sleeping.  There were no responsibilities yet, and I could practically do what I wanted!  Why do little kids want to grow up?  Don't they know that they've already reached the easiest part of their lives?

But you know what?  I love life.  God has been good to me, and I have enjoyable memories to look back on.  Life is good.

p.s.
I love naps!  :)

5 comments:

  1. I know how you feel! Just remember that God has allot of special things in store for you in the coming years too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, last night I was thinking about basically the same thing.

    Life is so complicated nowadays. Work. School. Computers. Email... do we realize how much work email is?

    I'm looking forward to Heaven. But you're right, life is good. In fact, God makes it downright awesome at times. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was lucky, I didn't have to take a nap. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are never too old for a nap!:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I miss the way the four of us would dance in the living room, with Zach playing some awesome air violin or drums to the "Phantom of the Opera." I miss the little games we would make up. I miss the little world we lived in back then. It seems you never know what you've got until it's gone.

    But, as we grow, I find I love you more and more (probably because we're too "mature" to fight anymore...ahem.) This is a very sweet post. Memories!

    Eliza

    ReplyDelete