"Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised." ~ Proverbs 31:30

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Part 2: You're Never Fully Dressed Without a Smile

There are two kinds of people in the world: pessimists and optimists.  Everyone tends to lean more one way than the other.  One thing I've found is that people tend to be drawn to optimists, or people who choose to face the world with a smile on their face rather than a frown.

Personally I enjoy smiling.  Often times I just can't help it!  One of my favorite things to do when I see a grumpy person is to flash them a huge ear-to-ear grin and greet them with a cheery "hello!"  Whatever negative comment it looked like they were about to say instantly dies on their lips.

I've heard it said that people are drawn to "yes-faces," or people who appear warm and welcoming.  Nobody wants to get to know someone who looks like they spend their time frowning and shouting at those around them.

I once had a customer who, when she saw me, said, "Oh yay!  We have Smiley!"  I didn't remember seeing her before (and I remember a lot of customers) and said something to that effect.  She simply told me that they had me ring up their groceries once before and that it was a very pleasant experience.  I was stunned!  First off, I don't remember anyone getting quite this excited about having me as their checker before, and secondly, I don't remember ever trying to ensure a pleasant shopping experience before.  In my mind, you either hit it off with the customer, or you don't.  I've had my share of both.  What was interesting was that this one simply remembered my smile.  Wow!

My second tip for drawing others to you is to just smile!  It's not hard and it costs you absolutely nothing.  It leaves an impression on people, telling them that no matter what comes, there is still joy to be found in the life that God has blessed us with.

No comments:

Post a Comment