"Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised." ~ Proverbs 31:30

Friday, July 22, 2011

Voices

"Did you actually pick up those toys, or did you just push them out of the way?"

"Turn the light on, then you'll be able to see the dirt!"

"Take everything off the dresser, then dust."

"If the sponge doesn't work on the faucet, lick your finger and scrub.  It needs to shine!"

I shook my head, laughing inwardly, as I deep cleaned the house this morning.  Isn't it funny how you hear phrases spoken by your parents all during your childhood, and then when you're grown and you know how to do things properly, you replay their warnings and advice over and over again in your head?  Yeah, that's what happened to me today .... AND I HAVEN'T TOUCHED THE VACUUM CLEANER IN 2 YEARS!!!

I just have to laugh when I think about those days!  It really wasn't that bad.  When cleaning the house today, I actually found joy in it all!  I now don't mind vacuuming, scrubbing, and dusting.  It made me feel like I'd done something productive with my day, which brings me to another phrase I heard all of growing up:

"Use your time wisely!"  If there's one thing my parents hate, it's wasting time.  The only time of the day I ever see my mom sit down is during dinner!  The rest of the day she spends cooking, cleaning, teaching, organizing, planning, writing, etc.  My dad is constantly cooking up new ways to advertise and grow his business, as well as working on his website.  He also co-pastors our church, which means he spends a lot of time praying for each of the families, calling up the men of the church, and writing sermons.  Oh, I did mention that he spends time with us each day, right?  My parents are pretty much the hardest workers I know!

Yep, I hear the voices of my parents in the back of my head all. the. time.  And that's good, because not only do I love hearing the sound of their voices, the advice they give me really has made a difference.

On sort of a humorous note, one of the things I constantly hear my dad say is, "that is not a walkway!"  This is always said in reference to the small area between the end table and the couch in the living room that everybody assumes is a short-cut to get to the main room.  I've heard that particular sentence nearly every day for the past 5 years, and to this day, I go around the couch.  ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLCfb54e_kM&ob=av2e

1 comment:

  1. You can't even begin to imagine how much I LOVE reading your posts! As you write about your family, it confirms and affirms our choice to grow our family. While the outside world and our families think we are crazy, I sometimes feel discouraged. YOU are the actual FRUIT of a man and woman who listened to GOD! Alex, I pray a special prayer for you today. I pray that the Holy Spirit will encourage you today and give you a tiny glimpse of what the Lord is going to use you for. You have many gifts. It is obvious! I am excited to see what our Father does.

    You are a beautiful woman and you encourage me!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete