"Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised." ~ Proverbs 31:30

Monday, August 29, 2011

A Good Friend of Mine

I sighed audibly as Ms. Noble told me of Taite's choice to keep the baby after all.  I had watched, through Diane Noble's eyes as Taite went through two agonizing months where she sought to end her "problem" while her boyfriend was away at medical school.  He would be none the wiser and she would be happier.  I went through the same heartache and pain as Taite's grandmother and hoped against hope that the soon-to-be-mother would change her mind and begin a new lifestyle.

A good book is like a dear friend.  One of my burning passions is that of reading.  I cannot tell you how much joy reading brings to my soul!  When I read a well-written piece, I completely lose myself in the story, getting caught up in the middle of whatever strife occurs.  While reading, my emotions often mirror those portrayed in the tale.  I sometimes wonder what would happen if I wore a mood ring while reading and how often it would change colors...  :)

I am appalled at how little modern day America picks up a book and reads for pleasure instead of for school.  If you were to walk into Walmart and ask the first person you saw what they enjoy doing in their free time, the answer would most likely be a mumbled phrase about playing World of War Craft, Halo, or something to that pitiful effect.

I used to read all the all the time, but now I find little room in my day for anything other than work.  I have decided to put a stop to that and take advantage of my school-free semester.  I'm going to begin to read with as much gusto and passion as I once had. 

Join me!  I think you'll find many good friends just sitting on the shelf, waiting to be discovered!

1 comment: