"Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised." ~ Proverbs 31:30

Monday, February 14, 2011

Skewl

I tend to find science labs utterly boring, and I decided that in order to enjoy myself, I would have to make it fun (this term is used loosely).  We had to look at a ton of specimens under the microscope (I loathe microscopes!  They're such a pain!) and then draw what we saw (something else I loathe) and write down observations.  Let's face it, for a nonscience person, there's not much you can observe from a glob of algae, and there aren't really observable differences between 20 such globs.  I decided that in order to keep my sanity, I would identify them by other things in the world that I was familiar with.




My most entertaining descriptions:
  • Euglena: It is a green algae that looks like a miniature manatee
  • Closterium: It looks like a mix of a pickle and a leech.  It's green and oblong
  • Spirogyra: Green, moving somewhat.  I looks like a glorified spaghetti noodle
  • Polysiphonia: It's a red branchy thing with pink splotches
  • Sargassum: Greenish-brownish seaweed that looks more like a holly sprig than anything else
  • Kelp: It's got a long "spine" with "tentacles" growing out of it
While I wouldn't necessarily call it a "fun" lab, I was able to make it more enjoyable for myself.  Now only 10 more labs to go!

2 comments:

  1. ahhh...but there's nothing quite like science and math to point us to the genius of our Creator!
    Love, "The Teach"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh-huh. Right. I happen to be studying the exact same stuffs, and I think (for once) like Alex... :P

    ReplyDelete