"Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised." ~ Proverbs 31:30

Thursday, December 12, 2013

A Merry Christmas to You

It's that time of year again!  We all know what I mean.  It's the month of Christmas cards, updates on life, hot cocoa and sparkly ornaments hanging on trees in our living rooms.

Well, I won't be home for the family portrait or update this year, so I have decided to officially become a grown up and write my own Christmas letter.  Without further ado, my Very Merry Christmas Letter:

Dear friends and family,

Words cannot describe all the the Lord has seen fit to teach me this year.  How can I even begin to put words to my new experiences or try to accurately depict the joy that has met me?  I'm not sure that I can fully put words to this, but I will try.

Back in May, I finished up my third semester at Criswell College, which, if you count the other miscellaneous college classes I've taken elsewhere, thrusts me halfway through my junior year.  Due to being so very close to finishing up said college career, it was hard to make my next life's decision.  The decision?  Take a year off of school and head to the Middle East for a time.

Why on earth would I do that?  Sometimes I don't even know myself why I do half the things I do.  I do have to say, though, that decision is one of the best things I've ever done.  The Lord has been faithful to teach me more about prayer, what it means to live in a community of believers who all come from different backgrounds, and how it looks to truly be working as if unto the Lord.  That last one has been a lifelong lesson, and one which is finally beginning to sink in.

The most meaningful thing I've learned this year:
It's not necessary to have radical experiences in order to grow a deeper faith.  Sometimes, we really do just need the quiet and faithful leading of the Lord when we simply put one foot in front of the other as we strive to walk in obedience.

My favorite memory:
Walking the streets of New Jerusalem knowing that my baby brother was in the process of being born

The most eye-opening experience of the year:
Working hard to pass HB2, a pro-life bill that would close down most of the abortion clinics in the state of Texas.  To be honest, I think that's the first time I've ever truly felt like I was on the front lines of battle.  Words cannot describe how amazing, exhausting, and rewarding that experience was.  At the end of it, I really just have to give praise to God and proclaim His goodness!

So in a nutshell, I've learned a lot this year and pray that God continues to teach me in the years to come.

Soli Deo Gloria and Merry Christmas,
Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment