"Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised." ~ Proverbs 31:30

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Attitude Isn't Everything

Alarm rings.  Roll over and turn it off.  Tumble out of bed and hobble to the door on swollen feet.

*grumble, grumble, grumble*
*complain, complain, complain*

Showered and dressed, head downstairs to grab a cup of coffee.  Gulp it down in a swallow or two and head for the car.  Can't take the car today, get dropped off.

*grumble, grumble, grumble*
*complain, complain, complain*

Customer demands explanation as to why coupon didn't go through.  Try to keep a lid on it.  Vent once home.

*grumble, grumble, grumble*
*complain, complain, complain*

"Do all things without grumbling or complaining," was the oft quoted verse around our house growing up.  I hate that verse.  Why?  Because I need it.

Attitude.  It pervades everything we do, making our lives either the most joyous of experiences or the most wretched.

If there's just one thing that I've been learning recently, it's that while your attitude isn't everything, it sure is a lot.

All my life I've struggled with maintaining a positive outlook on life and the things that God has set before me to accomplish.  While I'm pretty good at hiding my distaste when I'm out and about, God and my family sure aren't fooled.


It wasn't until very recently that I realized how many areas there were for me to change my attitude toward.  But here's the interesting thing, once I began to actively try changing one area, the rest got easier, to the point where I wasn't even trying anymore.  I realized that my life was made up of preconceived notions and I wasn't willing to relinquish my hold on the way that I thought life was supposed to look.

By God's grace, He opened my eyes to my incorrect way of thinking.

But how did I go about changing a sour attitude?  For one thing, it meant swallowing my pride, willing myself to be humbled by God.  The next step was to be willing to be teachable.  My friends, it's HARD.

It's hard to swallow your pride and ask God to help you change your attitude.  It's hard to succumb to His prodding.  It's hard to be active in changing.  It's h.a.r.d.

But it's worth it...

Because letting God sanctify and mold you into something that resembles more Christ-like behavior is always worth it.

I'm by no means perfect at this.  I know that I still have a long way to go, but instead of grumbling about that, I will strive to rejoice in the knowledge that this means that God and I will be working very closely together for a while longer .... before He brings some other issue to my attention.  :)

Attitude isn't everything, but it sure is a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment