"Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised." ~ Proverbs 31:30

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

{But It's Dark}

If there's anything that's extremely difficult for me to do, it's wait.
If there's anything that's been a major theme in my life, it's been waiting.
If there's anything that God may be trying to teach me, it may be how to wait.

Hate: intense or passionate dislike.

I hate waiting.

I hate waiting for grades to come back because I like to know how I did.
I hate waiting for a family member to come pick me up after work because there aren't enough cars to go around for every driver.
I hate waiting for sanctification because I'd rather just do all the hard stuff up front and be done with it!

I hate waiting.

I don't know about you, but when I find myself waiting around for something I get restless and antsy.  When I'm required to wait, I become something not unlike a pacing lion waiting for the first glimpse of an antelope to hunt down and devour.  Yet, it is through this terrible process that I must pace oh so often.

Pace: (verb)  walk at a steady and consistent speed, esp. back and forth and as an expression of one's anxiety or annoyance.

What makes me anxious?  The great unknown.  If I don't have a plan nailed down so that I can follow it down to the t, I get anxious about what's next.  What's interesting though is that once I have a plan, the thing I love to do most is be spontaneous and randomly perform a certain activity.  What I'm learning about myself, though, is that without that plan, it feels weird doing my own thing.  Bizarre, I know.

My dad said it right when he said that I'm in the shadow of His wing.  It may be dark under there, but I'm precisely where I need to be.  For me, being in the dark means not knowing what's next.  Not having a plan.  Not having the slightest clue as to where to make my next footprint.

And that's just it.  Being in the shadow of His wing means I need to stop pacing, stop being anxious... just... stop...  My job is to put my faith and trust in Him right now just as much as I did when I knew what to do.

Maybe, just maybe, learning how to trust Him when we can see what's next is supposed to train us how to trust Him when we can't.

He is good, and His love endures forever.  I will rest securely in the knowledge that He is the man with the plan and that He will continue to be faithful to guide me all the way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment