"Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised." ~ Proverbs 31:30

Sunday, November 17, 2013

Holiday Blues

I don't get homesick.  While I was at school, I'd make it home only about once a semester while a lot of my friends made it home every other weekend.  I kid you not.  It's just that as long as I was busy with school assignments and social engagements, I didn't miss home.

The same thing happened once I got here.  I was instantly thrown into a beautiful schedule filled with lots of things to occupy my time, the result being that homesickness is once again non-existent.

Well...
...it was

Then there was this morning.  We started playing Christmas music as we were cleaning up after breakfast and all of a sudden I had a flash back to driving around looking at Christmas lights with my family.  That's when I realized how many holiday traditions and experiences I wouldn't be having with my family this year.  It will be my first Christmas spent away from home without a single family member present.  Out of nowhere, I got really homesick.

Talk about reality striking.

It's going to be weird.  Really weird.  But I've got several Americans here with me who are also spending their very first Christmas away from home, so I'm in great company.  We're going to have to live it up as much as possible.  Don't get me wrong, I love, love, love my family here, but it won't be the same.

So, here's to making new traditions, incorporating some old ones, and trying to have the jolliest Christmas ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment