"Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised." ~ Proverbs 31:30

Sunday, July 14, 2013

Who, Me? You've Got the Wrong Woman

If I were to have gone to a public highschool, I would have been voted "least likely to get involved in politics."  Even though I was homeschooled, I was still voted by my family "least likely to get involved in politics."  Any time I've tried to keep up with the world's current events, I would get so worked up about them that I've spent the better part of my 20 years trying to avoid them altogether.  Chances are VERY good that if I'm not at home with my family around the dinner table, I will have little to no knowledge of what's going on.

God has a sense of humor.

This past semester, God began changing the way I thought.  About what?  Everything.  Behind the scenes, He began to gently prod me along as I began to really think about what it meant to live with excellence or what it even really meant to be a Christian!  Every passage I read in Scripture, every sermon I listened to, even every song on the radio pointed me to active living.  Actually, looking back over the past couple of posts I've written, I can see how I should have been expecting it to happen.  Oh, it should have been blaringly obvious.

Haha! God has a sense of humor!

What happened exactly, you may be asking?

A mere two weeks ago, I found myself on a conference call with roughly 30 pro-life grassroots leaders from not just my state, but from all over the nation!  Granted, in the presence of such great leaders, I listened more than I spoke and mostly just took notes.  I didn't (and still don't) consider my role vital to operations.  All I did was try to consolidate the information that we gathered and the plans we wanted to put into action and try to communicate it to pro-lifers via a facebook event that I created called Warriors Needed.

Two weeks ago I had no idea there was an extension to the capitol.  I had no idea there were two rotundas.  I had no idea who wrote HB2.  I had no idea that there was a library in the capitol, or that mere citizens are able to go in it.  I had no idea where either the House Gallery or the Senate Gallery were.  I'd always been pro-life, but never an activist.

Since two weeks ago, I've been on numerous conference calls that typically lasted a couple of hours.  I've been at work for 6-7 hours, only to go right from work to the capitol for another 6-7 hours to show my support.  I've kept my group up to date on what was going on.  I've had a crash-course on how a bill becomes law.  I've walked all over the capitol building.  I've shared why I was pro-life on www.lettexasspeak.com to hundreds of viewers from around the nation.  I've been yelled at.  I've prayed with people who I've never met.  I've shook hands with representatives and have gotten to know some seriously awesome pro-lifers who I wouldn't have met otherwise.

Yes, God has a sense of humor, and so do I.

I do see the humor in Him using a person who has had no prior experience in politics or networking to accomplish His purposes.  I do see the humor in having people calling, texting, emailing, or facebook messaging me questions that 3 weeks ago I wouldn't have had answers to, but now to which I can give a brief summary or check with someone else who knows.

I'm glad I had the opportunity to actively stand for something that I know to be right.  I'm glad that I could expend my time and energy on something that was worth it.  I'm glad I got to participate in this fight.  I'm also glad that it's over for now.  I know there's more to come, I just don't know when or how, but I do know that I'd like to remain involved in giving a voice to the voiceless, not because it's glamorous (far from it), but because it's the right thing to do.

Won't you join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment