"Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised." ~ Proverbs 31:30

Thursday, July 25, 2013

50 and Counting

The sound of my grandfather singing to my grandmother filled the kitchen as the entire family gathered around to watch a slide show of pictures of my grandparents over the years appear on the screen.  Testimonies from their friends of 30+ years brought laughter as memories were shared as well as tears as sweet heart-felt sentiments were spoken.

You know, this is the second set of grandparents I've had who've celebrated their 50th anniversary.  Last year, my dad's parents were able to experience 50 years of wedded bliss and this year my mom's parents joined them.
 
I can't tell you how thankful I am for both sets of grandparents.  I look at my parents, and the strength of character they both have.  I look at their values and passions and can't help but to thank God for giving them their own parents who spent time parenting them.  Both sets of grandparents have trained, loved, prayed for, raised, and befriended my parents who have in turn done the same for me and my siblings.
 
And that's what gets me to thinking...
 
My legacy begins with my grandparents.  Many of my great-grandparents weren't saved until sometime after my grandparents.  Which means I really have my grandparents to thank for training my parents in the faith who then led me to the Lord.  It's because of them that I have a passion for the Lord, and it's because of them that I want to gain as much wisdom as I can.
 
My grandparents are perhaps the wisest people I know.  I can't tell you how many conversations I've had with them that leave me feeling like I've had a small taste of heaven, wishing Jesus would come back already so I could spend all eternity having moments like those.
 
50+ years spent married to the same person... sticking it out during the hard times, treasuring up the beautiful moments, learning from their mistakes, making a concerted effort to grow together, but most importantly keeping Christ at the center of it all...  these are the lessons I've learned from my grandparents and hope to apply in my own marriage down the road.

As a side note, you should really hear them tell the story of one of their first fights in which a birthday cake played a vital role.
 
 
 
So to Grandma and Grandpa, happy 50th anniversary!  Your marriage has produced a large family with 3 kids and 12 (soon to be 13 [or will it be 14?]) grandkids, most of whom know the Lord.  May every year be a little different and a lot sweeter!  I love you!!!

1 comment:

  1. Yes! Thank you Grandma and Grandpa! You two are such a blessing and a good example to the rest of us :D

    ReplyDelete