"Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised." ~ Proverbs 31:30

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Walking

Did you know that in 30 minutes worth of power walking, people with my body weight burn 190 calories?

Did you know that in 30 minutes worth of walking, I have gone a distance of about 1.5 miles?

Now, I'm used to higher impact sports.  Volleyball and running were how I spent my high school years.  And I got quite a workout, let me tell you (especially since those two seasons coincided with each other)!  I remember climbing into the car after volleyball practice absolutely drenched in sweat!  There wasn't a thing on me that was dry!  My T-shirt was soaked, my arms were soaked, and I finally gave up on wiping my chin with the back of my hand because my hand was soon soaked.

I don't know why, but I've always loved working out.  I love how it burns while I do it, and for some reason that pain and exhaustion translates into "YES!  Power!!  I'm doing something awesome right now, even though it really hurts!"

Since graduation I've stopped nearly all workouts.  And you know what?  I miss it terribly!  So, this evening I laced up my shoes and went for a power walk with some of the ladies I work with.  I absolutely love their company, and I love the fact that we're doing something good for ourselves.  We found the most beautiful little trail back behind a neighborhood that's SUPER close to where I live.  I'm already envisioning long walks back and forth across that trail with my sister.

Interestingly enough, these new workouts have encouraged me to persevere.  Isn't it interesting how when we're in pain, we suddenly "remember" God and turn to Him for help?  Isn't it interesting how when we are stuck on an incline we feel like giving up and turning right around again?  But it's in the pain that God shines the brightest.  It's when we can't feel our legs anymore that we know without a doubt that it was God and God alone who brought us through.  It was His power, and they were His feet we used to climb to the top.

Yes, I'm enjoying my walking.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment