"Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised." ~ Proverbs 31:30

Friday, September 7, 2018

Conduit of Grace

When I was growing up, my mom always had a lot to do with the atmosphere in our home.  She was the master of the reset.  If everyone was having a bad day, herself included, she would have us all pause what we were doing, turn on an upbeat worship song, and have us dance around in the living room til my brothers and sisters and I were laughing and in a much better mood.  When the song ended, she would usually say something along the lines of, "this day started on the wrong foot.  Let's reset and have a good rest of the day."  The amazing thing?  I think it always worked.

As I was praying over my family the other day, it hit me at how much I influence the atmosphere within my home.  That whole saying, "if Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy," is a saying for a reason.  I can allow my thoughts, actions, and emotions to determine the mood in my home.  I can make it a horrible day for everyone, or I can use those God-given things as a means of spreading grace.

As I thought about it, I was struck with just how badly I want to make our home a center for glorifying God through the good, the bad, and the ugly.

We have a whiteboard hanging in our living room.  I bought it initially as a way for me to learn and study Greek.  Since having the baby, that's been put on the back burner for a while.  The point being, I have a whiteboard hanging in a room of the house where it can be seen by all.  Over the the last three weeks I have been writing one Scripture a week that communicates grace.  These Scriptures are ones I come across in my daily devotions.

With the Scripture being written where everyone can see it, my prayer is that we will read it and meditate on it, whether consciously or not.  I want Scripture to be my family's lifeblood.  I want us to chew on it, write it on our hearts, live by it, and have the Holy Spirit bring it to remembrance at the right times.

My husband will often tell me that it's easier for him to go through something tough if I'm not also having a hard time with whatever it is.  He needs me to be happy and to give him the hope that everything is going to be ok regardless of the situation.  It's not always possible for me to be happy, per se, but it is always possible for me to find my strength in Jesus and His Word, and it's possible for me to point my family in that same direction.

Things are tough right now?  Let's look at some of God's promises in Scripture.
There are worrisome things on the horizon?  Let's steady ourselves with prayer.
Are we tempted to put ourselves at the center of the universe?  Let's worship Jesus and get our hearts right.

These are a few ways that I've been trying to be a conduit of grace within my sphere of influence.  It's not exhaustive, but it's a start.  I truly believe that stay-at-home moms have a unique opportunity to speak grace into the day for not only themselves but their families as well.

I want to be like my mom.  Her source of strength, hope, and joy rests in Jesus, and she always knows how to point us in that direction.  That's grace.

I want to speak that kind of grace and have a family that loves Jesus and knows where they can go to get a refill on strength for the day.  My prayer is that my home will have a grace-filled, God-centered atmosphere, and that all who enter will experience those things.

No comments:

Post a Comment