"Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised." ~ Proverbs 31:30

Saturday, June 15, 2013

Dear Dad

Dear Dad,

Since I won't be able to enjoy Father's Day with you over ribeye steaks, loaded mashed potatoes, and cabernet sauvignon, I decided to do the next best thing, which is to write you an early Father's Day letter, dedicated totally to you.  Sound good?

Protection.  You, Dad, take your role seriously.  You let us know that our family has rules for a reason.  Lots of times, the rules were to prevent premature exposure to what the world had to offer.  More often than not, howevever, as little kids, we didn't understand the "why" behind the rules, and we were simply told to trust you.  This exemplified the way in which we were to interact with Christ.  How many times will we be called to simply obey and trust that He will know the "why" even while we won't?  Yes, through your protection of us, you taught us instantaneous obedience and trust.  Perhaps those are the most important lessons you taught me.

All the credit for this next lesson learned in my life goes to you as well.  Remember when we'd sit in the truck bed and watch the rain pour down from the safety of our garage?  Or remember how we took a walk in the snow one quiet evening, or how you'd wake several of us up to witness a meteor shower?  More recent history has you taking turns about the vegetable garden.  You love to stop and smell the roses, taking every opportunity to enjoy the life that God has given you.  Yes, this lesson taught me to live life and live it well.

I can't tell you how thankful I am for your laughter and all those times you've laughed til you cried.  I can't tell you how many times your sayings randomly pop in my head while I'm away.  I can't tell you with enough emphasis how I may never read those first 30 pages in that photography book that you keep hounding me to read.  I can't tell you how many times I may still walk through the non-walkway.

But what I can tell you is how blessed I am to have your genes.  Even though I know you're going to make a snide remark about blue jeans with that last sentence, I think it's pretty cool how people say I look just like you.

Thanks for the lessons, memories, laughter, and hot wings.

You're amazing, and I love you!

Love,
Owl Licks

No comments:

Post a Comment